Various types of exotic plants brought by seamen from all over the world managed to survive in this park, due to its exceptional climatic conditions. It is the largest park area in Montenegro. Local seamen used to bring a tree from their voyages and plant it in this park- it was an old custom they used to respect.
The town’s park was founded in 1892, as evidenced by the inscription in the park which says, translated from German: “This park was founded in 1892 by the former navy admiral Friherr Von Sterneck. The foundation was managed by captains Padevit, Ziegler, Denning, Heinrich and C.Lanjuz, as well as the supervisor Nedwich“.
To keep the tradition and preserve the park, the activity named: “Your tree in our park’’ was started in 2006. This means that every citizen can donate a tree to mark an important life situation for them (marriage, birth, graduation…). The tree is then planted in the park.
The most significant species in the park are:
- Araucaria bidwilli (Australian dishes)
- Pinus halepensis (Aleppo pine)
- Magnolia Grandiflora (Magnolia Velikocvijetna)
- Liliflora magnolia (Magnolia ljiljanocvijetna)
- Pinus pinea (pine nut)
- Cedrus Atlanticus (Cedar)
- Semervirens Cupressus (cypress)
- Platanus occidentalis (planes)
- Platanus orijentalis (planes)
- Melia azedarach (Melia)
- Ceratonia silqua (Carob)
- Aeculus hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut)
- Ablizia julibrissin
- Laurus nobilis (laurels)
- Prunus laurocerasus (laurel cherry)
- Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus)